Archive for Southern R2 Builders Group A Place for Star Wars Fans
 


       Southern R2 Builders Group Forum Index -> Astromech Droids
psycogremlin

Finally restarted

Finally have gotten motivated again to restart working on my droid. The work I have done previously could be much better and I'm not real happy with how my frame came out looking at it now, but figure it will work for now. Getting better at cutting and bonding the parts, slowly, but have seen some improvements. So far I have the basic body frame, leg structure and framework for the center foot "done". Thinking doing the ankles as my next step. I have no clue about paint and designation for my little droid at this point but figure I have some time before having to worry to much on that (unless someone has suggestion). This build will most likely result in a R6 instead of an R2 unless I can find a good (cheap) dome to use for it but figure I can always switch the head at a later date if i want.

And if anyone is interested here's some pics of the work so far Mr. Green








Danf

Looking good! Keep up with it.
BLT2100

Looking good, The more you work on it the better you will get with the styrene. Keep it up!!!! If you get discouraged a little just walk away for a little bit and come right back to it.
psycogremlin

Little more work done but now I'm stopped due to not having the .040 styrene but ordered that today. I was going to continue by moving on to the main feet but looking over the plans I think I hit a snag where I'll need to figure out design modification before I can continue. The main feet in the plans is designed for a single wheel and a fixed leg which I want to modify to make it work with the possibility of having the droid in a 2 wheel or 3 wheel configuration possibly even doing a 2-3-2 conversion down the road. Instead of building two different sets of feet and drive systems I thought it better to set back and try to figure out the best way to build the feet to work for what I eventually want to build towards.

BLT2100

Wow!!!!! Your doing a good job, Keep up the good work!!!
psycogremlin

Thanks.

Was surprised when I got home today my package came via UPS for the .040 sheet I ordered which was kinda a shocking since I only ordered it yesterday. So hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll be able to complete the legs.

Still trying to work out the modifications for the main feet. Not sure which setup is the best route to go two wheels in each foot or wheel and caster setup. Any advice on this would be great.

I also have an idea for a major frame re-design that I'm not sure if I want to risk not working out at this point in theory it would make for a great framework for the 2-3-2 mechanics, in reality well that's yet to be seen.
BLT2100

The best part about Styrene is, if it does not work out you can always cut the pieces out where you glued it. On the wheels that would be your preference, what motors are you useing? I used 1 wheel in the outter and 2 casters modified in the center. And it works great but I didn't do the 2-3-2 either.
psycogremlin

Not sure on the motor type of set up yet, it's one of the hang ups I'm having with the re-design.
micahbird

Where did you order your .04 styrene from and did they charge and arm and a leg?  Smile
psycogremlin

I got the .04 from Farco plastics here locally in Jacksonville and it was shipped from the Ft. Lauderdale location. Was $14 and change for the sheet plus $10 for the UPS charge.

If I could wait I could have saved the $10 since my wife is going done there next week anyway but was chomping at the bit to continue the work  Mr. Green
micahbird

Cool.  I think there's a Farco near me (clearwater).  I'm going to need some more sooneer or later.

Have you done the outer feet yet?  I'm about to start them and was wondering if there's a template or something for the parts of the foot that have that 1.5"r  curve to them.
psycogremlin

Have not done the outer feet yet. I was going to until I realized the styrene plans are for a setup I'm most likely not going to use so i have to think of what and how I'm going to change them before I start and do it the right way the first time ,... hopefully.

Also got a bit more finished and wanted to share. Trying to figure out what step to take next now.


psycogremlin

Did a little more work on the build.

I decided to try something out to see if it would work and scratch built a shoulder button using a few nylon spacers, a screw cap and a bolt. the though was to allow me to use the shoulder buttons to bolt on the horseshoe to the leg. (pic below) not sure how I feel about the way it turned out it's not 100% I know but wondering if it will look good enough once they are painted.





       Southern R2 Builders Group Forum Index -> Astromech Droids
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum